Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Had a Sick Day

      The entire family woke up this morning with a general feeling of ickiness.  I tried to open my eyes at 6 am but seriously they were sealed shut (I now will never complain about runny noses again since this cold apparently has decided to hang out... in my eyes).  Joshua woke up with his eyes glued shut and a diaper-splosion.  I'll define diaper-splosion as a diaper that is so disgustingly full that it just gives up on its job and instead of having a diaper, your baby is covered in icky gel-like goo pebbles.  Normally we don't experience diaper-splosions except when we forget to take Liam's pull ups out of his pj pants and they end up in the washing machine.  But this was a seriously bad diaper-sposion because it involved all sorts of ickiness in the diaper... well maybe this is just getting too gross.  And for those of you who may be judging because we didn't wake up to help Joshy in his sleep- for the record- we were both sick and Josh has been sleeping through the night for well over a year now so (a) if he did wake up, he only must have whimpered and (b) we may have possibly probably slept through this whimpering.  At any rate, after Josh's diaper-splosion I decided he needed an immediate bath.  Bill didn't wake up until a bit later, very hazy but at least his eyes weren't glued shut like mine were.  Liam decided to join in on the fun by saying he also had a sore throat.  So Liam, Josh and I had a sick day.  I admit that I didn't personally feel too bad today but once I realized I was going to have to wear my glasses (which I got in high school) to my place of work, I made the final decision to stay home with the kids.
     Well it turns out that Joshua does have strep throat.  And the doctor was grossed out by our eye mucus!  I'm glad I followed my mommy instincts.  I tend to second guess them.  I tend not to be the one to stay home when my kid wakes up with a sniffle or a cough.  I'm usually not too sympathetic towards illness... unless there's puke involved.  I also hardly put up with my own illnesses.  In fact, the urban legend that I didn't even call in sick the day Liam was born until 12 am (he was born just before 7 am) is completely true.  Just this summer I ignored Liam when he told me that his stomach hurt (because swimming lessons cost $68 and I really didn't want that money to go to waste) and drove him 7/8ths of the way to swimming lessons only to have to turn around in a commuter parking lot when he puked up blueberry yogurt into the backseat.  It really did serve me right that I had to clean that up with a few stray tissues from the glove box.
     Actually sick time in our house is not too bad.  I admit to loving how cuddly Liam gets when he is sick.  Joshua is somewhat of a bear when he's sick but you just have to feel bad for this fun-loving guy who hates tissues.
     I will be heading back to work tomorrow and Liam will be going back to preschool.  Joshua is staying home with my mother in law in the morning and Bill in the afternoon.  Unfortunately, I think I'll probably have to wear these horrible glasses to work tomorrow, which makes me kind of wish I had tested positive for strep too.

No comments:

Post a Comment