Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Coordination Isn't So Easy But It Sure Is Cute

     Soon after Joshua was first born, I got to work searching the clothing aisles for matching shirts.  We had set up a photo shoot with a family friend at our favorite park. The spring flowers would be blooming and we were told to find something to coordinate. What I thought would be an easy accomplishment (finding matching polos) turned out to be a major endeavor.  It turns out that there is little in the way of matching when you cross from infant to toddler sections in the clothing stores.  Who knew that Carter's didn't see my vision of matching polo shirts.  But no, not in JC Penney or Old Navy or Macy's could I find matching shirts for the boys.  I was even having trouble finding coordinating colors, which I might have settled on had I not found a matching onesy and T-Shirt at Target.  They weren't the nicest shirts, but they did just fine and the pictures turned out cute enough... except for the fact that it was really too windy a day and we discovered that Liam has seasonal allergies (so even though the pictures of him sniffing the flowers are beautiful, they're also kind of pitiful).
     Thus began my on-going quest to find matching outfits for the boys.  I think it's because I am so stubborn.  If I find out that something is difficult, it becomes my new favorite hobby.
     Why do I like matching shirts and pajamas and, yes, even sunglasses?  Maybe because it looks good in photos, or because I want my kids to lose their identities as individuals.  Maybe because I secretly wish I had twins (side whisper- no I do not) or maybe I like matching clothes because it's just so darn cute. 
     Honestly, a bit of my obsession is because I'm afraid I'll lose a child when we're out in public. Dressing in matching shirts helps solve this problem... especially when the shirt is bright colored.  It makes it easier to spot my two guys in a crowd and, from a purely lazy point of view, it also allows my addled-brain to focus on one color or print.  On a recent trip to Disney (yes, did I mention we recently went to Disney???  Very special; magical) I dressed the boys in matching shirts that my mom had bought them especially for the occasion.  They had matching orange polos with dinos for Animal Kingdom (perfect for photo shoots in Dino Land) and we also had Batman shirts with capes to wear to Hollywood Studios and Yellow neon polos to wear to Magic Kingdom.  I knew that it would be hard for all of us to keep track of the kiddoes during their busiest season of he year, so wearing the matching shirts was part photo-op and part survival strategy.
     Over the years, I have developed a reputation for matching shirts.  It's actually a contagious obsession.  Especially once my sister found out that a clothing company called Hatley sells matching patterns that appear in pajamas, shirts and even bathing suits across all sizes- from infant to adult.  Ever since then, it hasn't been the same.  Even when we can get all three of our kids in the same matching print though, we never seem to get the shot with all three of them in it.
 

     Yesterday I gave Liam permission to choose a Halloween costume for 2012 that doesn't match with Joshua's. Thus far, I've been able to weasel a way into matching costumes.  Let me tell you, the pay off has been adorable.  But maybe this year, as hard as it will be, I will let go and let them choose separate costumes.  Still, when Liam said he wanted to be Darth Mal (or a Ghostbuster) and Joshua decided on "alligator", I felt a little sad voice inside of me.  It was trying to come up with convincing arguments for them both to agree on a theme.  I am not proud of it, but I did ask Joshua if he wanted to be Slimer.


     Okay, so call me cheesy or obsessive-compulsive.  Yes, I know both might be true.  But here are a few pics of my matching family.  You have to admit, it's kind of worth searching the racks at JC Penney.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment