Friday, October 15, 2010

Had a Crappy Day

     Today I went to school with poop on my shirt.  I mean, I walked into my place of business with human poop on my shirt.  Seriously?  Really?  Have I reached an all-time low of lack of hygiene? Yes.  No really, it was an unpredictable incident considering that Josh is way past the stage of leaky diapers.  I changed his diaper this morning and I did notice that his clothes needed to be changed so I gave him a new pair of jeans & a new shirt.  But what about my clothes?  I was in too much of a rush to notice that when I picked him up, he must have leaked a little onto my shirt too.
     This wasn't all bad news though. Actually from here the day did start improving- I mean really, when you hit an all-time low like seeing poop on your shirt when you're standing in your workplace bathroom, it really can only go uphill from there, right?  So first I consider it a blessing that I noticed the poop rather than some child exclaiming, "What smells like crap?" and then realizing it would be me... their teacher.  And let's say a child didn't notice it- today was parent teacher conference day- so I'm very appreciative that it wasn't a parent who caught a whiff of my poopy shirt.  So this was all good because, first of all, I recognized the problem.  Then it got even better.  Several colleagues are participating in an upcoming Making Strides event and we were supposed to wear our team t-shirts today.  Oh wonderful!  Now I had an excuse not to wear my poopy shirt! And thankfully I had not had the foresight to take the Making Strides t-shirt home (to wash it) before the event!  It was sitting right there by my desk!  So I changed into the Making Strides shirt and used the opportunity to wash my other shirt. There was even time to dry it on the air vent.  I didn't even get any questions from the kids- "Why is your shirt sitting on the air vent?"  Because kids don't ever really notice things like that (in fact, it's not uncommon for me to find one of their go-gurt containers laying on the floor after school or glue toppled over and leaking onto counters or anything significant like that so why would they notice a t-shirt on the air vent?).    By the time parent teacher conferences came around this afternoon, my shirt was freshly dried and it didn't have that poopy scent either (thanks to copious amounts of anti-bacterial soap- seriously, I think I cleaned that shirt better than my washing machine would have)! 
     The morale of the story is this... never trust your baby not to poop on you.  This goes for infants as well as toddlers.  Maybe even preschoolers.  Just when you least expect it, they will poop on your shirt or worse- in the bathtub.  Your baby does love you but that will still not stop him/her from pooping on you when you let your guard down.  In the event that you do get pooped on, it would be a good idea to have an extra shirt at work, or at least some Febreeze.  For me, I consider getting pooped on just one of those things working moms deal with.  Okay, to be fair most working moms probably get away with never having their business suits soiled but me, I'm just not one of those moms so just to be sure, I think I'll keep the extra t-shirt in my bottom drawer.

1 comment:

  1. Revision: Or maybe those working moms in business suits who think they've never been pooped on really HAVE been crapped on and they just didn't catch it. Maybe those well put together best of the best working moms have actually been going to work with pooped on clothes! That makes me feel much better!

    ReplyDelete