Saturday, August 13, 2011

Two Steps Back

     Regression.  Let's talk about it.  Why is it that regression occurs when its least convenient?  It just seems like you put so much effort into something and then BAM! There's a backslide.  I had two goals this summer (well more than that, but two over-arching goals). The first was to get Joshua back on track with potty training and the second was to get Liam off his nap schedule.
     Joshua has been resisting potty training since this past winter when he made a couple successful attempts but then backed off and wanted to remain a baby.  He apparently has no interest in stickers or potty dances.  Anyway, I figured I had all summer to work on it.  And all was going well, I might say.  I made him several a potty charts and he was enjoying sticking on the stickers.  He was oddly fascinated with using potties outside of our home and made special efforts at houses of our friends & family as well as in public restrooms (yeah!  Doesn't every mom want their kid peeing on the potty at the grocery store... oh wait, probably not).  Then I left him for two nights.  It was seriously less than 48 hours.  Now he wants to hear nothing of the potty.  It's his sworn nemesis.  I've backed off a bit, but even that isn't working.  After two weeks of laying off of him, I was thrilled yesterday when he said, "Me use potty later".  But then I had to act unruffled when later came and still he did not want to use his potty.
     Getting Liam off of his napping schedule is also a no-go.  The only reason I'm able to be writing this now is because he's still slumbering in his bed.  2 years ago when Joshua was a baby I remember battling it out with Liam over his nap-time.  I stood by his door, I threatened, I yelled but nothing.  He was 3 years old and he decided he wasn't going to nap anymore.  I started to act like it didn't matter.  I would say, "Whatever, you can nap or not.  It's your choice."  And the more "whatever" I acted like, the more he wanted to nap.  It took a bit of flexibility on my part too.  I had to be open to Liam sleeping wherever he wanted.  This has included next to his bed, in his room tent and my personal favorite (no joke)- with his legs under his bed and his head and upper body inside of his laundry basket.  So here he is at 5 still napping most days.  I'm not complaining, I love a good nap... for my kids that is.  It's just that now school is starting and they only have a 15 minute "rest" period.  We'll see how that goes. 
     It's not just the kids who have regressed.  It's me too.  How many years of parenting did it take for me to not insist on matching place mats with napkins?  I used to compete with Martha Stewart and now the best way for me to have matching napkins at the table is by using paper.  I used to have a strong non-violent policy so why is it that I let Liam buy a foam sword with his allowance? I actually bought one for Joshua too because I didn't want him to be defenseless. I used to weed the garden and now I just add more mulch.  Maybe regression is our way of letting go of what is less important to us.  Why take energy out of a busy day to do something as silly as ironing a tablecloth?  And if it's a fun summer day and you're playing pirates with your big brother and you happen to be wearing a diaper?  Well, maybe that's why Joshua just needs a break from using the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment