Sunday, November 27, 2011

High Expectations

     I remember a last year Liam asked Santa to bring him a rocket ship.  I knew it would be the last of these cheap requests, so I truly did savor the moment. We got him a fancy rocket with a landing pod and moon walker- Imaginext.  The rocket ship lit up and its wings sprang out.  It cost $40.  Meanwhile I picked up a robotic dinosaur on sale for Joshua.  We were a happy Mr. & Mrs. Claus.
     This year we realize just how blessed we were.  For the first time Liam wants, no expects, something a bit less simple.  He is expecting Santa to bring him a DS.  A DS is a hand-held Nintendo gaming system.  They start at about $150 but the 3D model is usually closer to $179.  I mentioned an expectation.  That's because I realized this year that our little guy, who really is not spoiled, expects this gift from Santa.  He clearly expects that Santa will just drop down the chimney, eat his cookies and leave a DS.  When asked why he expects Santa to bring him what he wants, he replied, "Because he did last year!"  Oops, apparently that $40 rocket ship wasn't such a great idea after all.
     It occurred to Bill and I that we should set Liam up for disappointment... just in case we could find a good enough sale.  "Well... Santa might not bring you a DS.  He has to buy presents for millions of little boys and girls out there."  and "If Santa doesn't bring you a DS maybe you can use your money to buy one" (this was a complete lie since Liam only has $26).
     We're not so worried about Joshua.  So far all I could get out of him that he wanted for he holidays was a blanket and more dinosaurs.  I'm pretty sure he will have a different answer after he wakes up from his nap.  I've settled on a Santa gift of a mega playland (which I found on sale) that includes those portable playhouses and tunnels.  It cost $35 but I'm quite sure that to Joshua it will look like a million bucks.
     What about this Santa guy bringing gifts to millions of children?  As an adult I know the stark reality.  Millions of childrens' parents can't afford the rocket, let alone the DS.  Millions of children will have no Christmas.  If there was a Santa, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be giving out $200 worth of gifts to one child, $20 to another and $2,000 to the kid on the nice side of town. 
     Do I really want my child to expect this DS?  Not at all.  And what if he does get the DS from Santa.  What will he expect next year since Santa has always given in to his requests?  But what if we ignore his request and he finds the Imaginext Medieval Castle instead? 
     So here we all are in the official holiday shopping season.  That what if is why we wait in lines and shop down aisles littered with misplaced, missing toys.  It's why we look forlornly at the tag "Buy 1 Transformer Get 2 Free" with rows of empty pegs and it's why we search the nearby shelves for stowaway Transformers (that actually worked last year for me, I found two misplaced Zhu Zhu pets when the rest of the store was sold out after a Black Friday sale).  I swear the toy aisles look a lot like someone took a bowling ball and rolled it down each of the shelves. 
     Okay, so I admit it.  This morning when we saw a DS on sale in our price range I sent Bill out to the store to go buy it (after he made me breakfast).  As I held that small box in my hand I knew I was setting us up for an even more expensive Christmas of 2012.  I knew that Santa would be expected again next year to bring some high tech gadget- possibly next time an iPad or a stereo, Guitar Hero or even a new game system.  I knew that in time Joshua would learn the same thing, that he could ask for a bit more than just a blanket and a new dinosaur. That Santa would bring him his wildest dreams- a mega playland (with basket ball net and 50 balls included).  Yes, I knew the expectation that this DS would bring to future Christmases.  But it's still going to end up next to Liam's stocking on Christmas morning.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment